Sunday, August 14, 2011

August 14, 2011

Today after stretching, filling tires with air and a bathroom run, we were off. The morning was overcast, traffic --both pedestrian and motor was also sparse so the two cyclists on this virgin run, didn't have much to worry about.

Tauheedah on her blue bike and I on my white one breezed around the moderated Lake Merritt. Under construction, cars and bikes share a narrow lane--which we avoided, choosing to cycle with the pedestrians, who as I said were few.

We were finished before 8 AM with the first loop. Tauheedah headed for home while I decided to loop the Lake one more time. This time I rode with cars, because there were a lot more people walking with their dogs. Coming down Lakeside at 14th Street was a breeze, as I waved to another Muslim sister walking--I see her a lot on the Lake, generally, in the evening. She's a teacher at the Emiliano Zappa Street Academy.

I stopped again at the parking booth at Children's Fairyland, this time to find out when the public bathrooms are open: 5:30 AM. Good to know for next week's ride.

I hope more of you decide to join us. I am still working on that bike shop sponsorship. In the meantime, if you need gear, go to The Roll Up Bicycle Shop and Art Space (510) 536-6652, http://www.rollupbikeshop.com/ . Let them know you are a part of Ramadan Rides and that Wanda sent you (smile).

It's great starting one's morning off with prayer, followed by a ride. What a wonderful way to start the week and the third week of fasting.

To join send us your contact information: ramadanridesrides4everybody@gmail.com Tell us something about yourself, demographics, talents or skills, and why you think this is the club for you. We will have a proper application soon.

Ramadan Mubarak!

No comments:

Post a Comment